Monday, March 8, 2010

Losing Weight Successfully Is Not To Be Taken Lightly

Losing weight successfully is not something to be taken lightly...er...it is something to be taken seriously, but you should have some fun, too!

But it is a challenge...and for many people getting support is an important part of the weight loss success equation.

A recent study by Amy Gorin, assistant professor of psychology at University of Connecticut found that it is more than just cutting calories and exercising more. The success equation includes making small changes that support your health goals.

One of the changes in Gorin's study included eating meals on smaller plates. We've talked about that before--how our plates today are so much larger than "in the olden days"...in fact our current plates won't even fit in antique cupboards!

Another change is watching less television. Why? Because, well, 1. it is sedentary...you don't burn many calories parked in front of the tube, and 2. we frequently eat when we watch television.

A third change is to enlist help and support from friends and family. This can work, but you have to be clear what kind of support you want. Don't leave it up to your friends or family members to guess what kind of help you are looking for. And certainly do not expect them to know what you need. You have to figure out what you want and then be willing to ask for it.

In some cases, the best support may be for them to just leave you alone. Our loved ones usually have our best interests at heart, but that doesn't mean that we want them watching every morsel we eat.

If announcing to the world (or even just your family) that you want to drop a few pounds is stressful for you, then that might just not be the right answer for you. It is my experience that until I was ready to make changes in my life, and doing what is right for my health--for ME, not for anyone else, then it didn't really matter who I told my goals to...or how many people I told. The only thing it did was force my eating to go underground. Ice cream eaten in secret is still ice cream eaten.

So get support--that's great--be willing to ask for it, and for exactly what you want. Do you want someone to help remind you that the food at the party is loaded with calories? Or do you want someone to walk with you? Or, do you want someone you can call when you have a craving? Or, do you want all those things? It is possible to enlist the help of a variety of people and have them each help you in a unique way.

I love having someone I can walk with...someone who will help me to remember to get away from my desk, enjoy some fresh air. Otherwise I could work all day and night. I also like having someone who encourages me to express my feelings so I don't feel the need to push them down with food. But I definitely don't want to feel like someone is watching every bite of food I eat, and I don't want someone who is going to count calories/carbs or fat grams. I want people around me who are positive, who help me keep a positive mindset...but who allow me to be me and don't expect me to be "perfect" or deprive myself and never have desserts!

What kind of support do you want? Let me know what kind of help you appreciate and what "help" you'd rather not be offered.

No comments: