Thursday, September 24, 2009

Are You Trying To Lose More Weight?

One of my readers asked me an interesting question..."Are you trying to lose more weight or are you happy being healthy?", and as it would happen I was discussing this with a friend earlier today...isn't it grand how things work?...but that's a topic for another blog!

So here is the long answer...as I am prone to do.

I am very happy with being healthy. That was, and is, my number 1 goal. I feel better, am able to do pretty much everything I want to do, I am off all medications...hard to ask for more than that!

I am not trying to lose weight...I am just doing what it takes to be healthy. In small increments. It does not consume my life...or my day.

In response to that, my body will seek whatever is the best level for it. Which may be to stay where I am, but for now I do appear to be continuing to decrease my fat and increase my muscle at a gradual rate.

Do I want to drop even more fat? (I think is the bottom line question)...yes, maybe, sometimes, no...hunh???

Most of the time I am pretty happy where I am. I can buy clothes in "normal" stores. I can eat whatever I want, etc, etc, etc...all that good stuff.

That being said, I would be less than honest if I didn't admit that from time to time I look in the mirror and think..."hmmm, another 10 pounds would be good," "wow, that knee is looking fat today," or "geeze louise, I wish my upper arms didn't flap around in the breeze so much."

I pretty much recognize that those days it really has nothing to do with my weight...it is the old emotional baggage that was behind why I put on weight in the first place.

So on those days, I choose (usually) to be gentle with myself, nourish my body with good and healthy food, move my body around and do something that will nurture my spirit too.

What I will NOT do is panic, beat myself up, or go on a massively restrictive diet or engage in a punishing exercise routine. I know from experience that those methods do not work for me.

Do I ever fantasize about having 6 pack abs? Sure! I also dream about what it would be like to have size 6B feet or to look like Christie Brinkley. Ain't gonna happen!

While I can't actually ever have B width feet or look like a super model, I could have the abs...if I really wanted them. For me the trade off in time and energy and limitations that it would take to get 6 pack abs just isn't worth it. I have lots of other things I want to do with my life that are MUCH more important. So, I put it into perspective and ask myself, "What do I really want?" 6 pack abs doesn't even make my top 100.

So that's the question I would have you ask yourself--what do YOU really want? If you really want 6 pack abs--then go for it! Find the right coach (that would not be me!) and pursue that goal with a passion. If on the other hand, you want to be healthy and finally be a weight that allows you to live your life, have the energy to do what you want to do, feel good while you are doing it and not have to be a slave to diets or a prisoner to food any longer...then stick with me, kid and Refuse To Diet!

No comments: