Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Can It Be Salsa if it's Not Hot, Hot, Hot?

Subtitle: I got a bunch of cilantro and didn't know what to do with it...

Some friends of mine gave me a HUGE bunch of cilantro. I wasn't sure what to do with it at first, but then I had a brainstorm: I could make salsa out of it.

I've had cilantro salsa before...and I didn't have a recipe for it...and maybe the bunch wasn't really THAT huge...so I thought about what I did have and figured I'd "punt"...

What I had:
  • Some tomatoes that were slightly overripe
  • Red, yellow and orange bell peppers
  • Avocado
  • the aforementioned Cilantro

(side commentary...did you know Cilantro is the leaves of the same plant that is Coriander...which is the seeds? I didn't know that until I was digging around looking for a cilantro salsa recipe, which I did NOT find, by the way!)

I minced up the cilantro, diced up the tomatoes and the yellow and orange peppers (decided to hold the red peppers as I had plenty of red with the tomatoes) and put them all in a bowl. Then I added a little bit of red wine vinegar and tossed it altogether.

Put it in the fridge and added avocado just before serving.

OH YUM, if I do say so myself.

I don't know if technically this is a salsa recipe or not, but it was cold, chunky, vegetables that was the best complement to my blackened burgers. OK, they were supposed to be grilled, not blackened. Reminder to self: do not attempt to multi-task while grilling.

Still, the contrast of the hot meat and the cold vegetables was excellent. And I've gotta say this low-cal recipe would also be good as a chip dip or could serve as a nice refreshing salad.

And as much as this sounds like a lot of chopping...and like it would take a lot of time--it DIDN'T! Fast, easy cooking...gotta love it!

No comments: