Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Measuring Success

I was discussing health and fitness with a neighbor today. While I don't want to be a slave to a scale, I do like to see the objective number. And this discussion helped me to pinpoint why.

You see, she actually refuses to get on the scale. OK, I don't have a problem with that. But then she told me she hasn't lost any weight.

How does she know? Because of her clothes.

Well, I can tell you that sometimes I don't notice it in my clothes until there has been a significant change.

So while the ultimate goal is to feel great in your own skin (and the clothes that surround that skin!), I find it very encouraging to know that I am making progress.

I'll keep weighing myself from time to time. Perhaps when I am at my ideal weight and have been able to stay there for some years I won't feel that it is necessary. But for now, to keep myself pumped up and also in the reality of where I am now, I find the scale to be a healthy and helpful tool.

No comments: