Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Don't Give Up the Dream of Ideal Health

I was talking to an acquaintance of mine today. She mentioned that she had pretty much settled in to her body, and although she would love to be healthier and carry less body fat, she just doesn't think it is a realistic expectation for her at this point in her life.

I have got to say that at our age (we both recently turned 50) it is more important than ever that we take care of ourselves. I want to live a healthy old age, not be crippled from any more years of excess weight pounding my joints and back. Not to mention the other complications that can arise from not living and eating in a healthy manner.

As we talked, I recognized some of the thought processes that I had a couple of years ago. It really reinforced for me that, although we can encourage one another to be healthy and take care of our bodies, it is completely up to the individual whose body it is to make the decision.

It is possible to achieve ideal health and an ideal body. Because of my genetic makeup I will never be a long limbed, delicate boned Miss America type, but I can have a very healthy, strong, athletic build that will carry me very well.

I have been working with a coach in the area of my health. She encourages me to eat well and make good choices, but she also knows it is up to me. Since she is in the medical profession she points out the risk factors if I don't take care of myself, and she empowers me to take control of my own life.

Dr. Linda has helped me with my mental attitude first. That is where it had to start. I had to believe that it was possible, which for a long time I didn't. After years of attempting to lose weight and failing I, like my friend I saw today, was pretty resigned to being overweight. Only thing is, I was almost 300 pounds--and probably wouldn't have stopped there.

One of the reasons I love my coach, Dr. Linda so much is because I have worked with my doctors in the past and had very different results. Some doctors would criticize my weight but give me no guidance on how to change it. Others would "put me on a diet" and then if I didn't lose weight accuse me of cheating. So many of them seemed to think there was one approach to achieving a healthy weight. With Dr. Linda, she is there to answer questions and be a cheerleader if that is what I need, but she helps me keep my head right and has steered me to a point where I am continuing to lose weight and I do not feel like I'm on a diet at all.

No comments: