Thursday, January 7, 2010

Exercise Tips for Weight Loss Success in Cold Weather

Wow is it beautiful out--fresh snow on the ground, bright blue sky. It seems like a great day to be outside...until I look at the thermometer! It is the 2:15 and the temp is a whoppin' 14 degrees Farenheit.

Early this morning, when I do my exercises for the day it was 9 BELOW...brrr...that is cold...

So what kind of exercise is best for weight loss if you can't or don't want to brave that kind of cold?

I do my "Bounce and Shake" routine...which is my favorite. It takes just 15 minutes, it gets me pumping and warmed up. But I also like to mix it up from time to time.

Of course you can do standard sit ups, push ups and jumping jacks...but what other exercises can you do without any special equipment?

I live in a 2-story house, so sometimes I use the staircase like my stair-stepper. I either go all the way up and back down, or I just use the bottom step and alternate stepping up and down. Up with left foot, up with right foot, down left, down right. This is a great little exercise that you can do for just a minute (or less if you are just starting out); you can work it up to a full 15 minutes; you can also fit this in as 1 five minute block of a 15 minute workout.

Another inside exercise--walk really quickly around your house. You can live in one small room and still do this. As your fitness level increases this can be a warm up or cool down. Mix in walking backwards and sideways and you'll use more muscles, small and large.

There's just a couple ideas that can get your heart pumping and your body revved up for the day--no matter the weather!

2 comments:

Dave @ 30DaysAtATime said...

For people like me who live in a small apartment, isometric exercises are great for days when you just don't want to leave.

Planks (front and sides), L-sits between chairs, pressing out on doorframes, etc. All of these exercises give a great workout without needing any space or (much) equipment.

Laurie Tossy said...

Thanks! You are absolutely right, Dave. Isometric exercises are great way to get in shape and take little space. For more about isometric exercises you can refer to an earlier post:
http://refusetodiet.blogspot.com/2009/10/exercises-anyone-can-do-for-health-and.html