Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day: the Best Gift

Happy Mother's Day everyone! Whether you celebrate your mother or are being celebrated, make it a great day and give yourself and your family the best gift--the gift of health.

I'm writing this from my own mother's house...and I am feeling especially grateful for her presence. Having lost my dad 3 years ago (can it really be that long?) I am thankful for every day that I get to say I love you to my mom...even when she frustrates me or confuses me! I think it is easy for us to expect that they will always be there...even though in our heads we know that isn't reality, we tend to think of all the people in our lives this way. Our friends and loved ones will always be there...that's what we believe...until something comes up to slap us in the face to let us know that, at least in this physical world, that isn't how it works!

What you may not have thought about, is that is how people feel about you, too! People care about you and just expect that you are going to be there forever.

So, let's give each other the absolute best gift we can--the gift of health.

It is up to each of us to decide that we are worth taking the time to be healthy. The irony of this "selfish" decision is that by choosing to be healthy we are dramatically increasing the odds that we will be around longer for the ones we love...for the folks who want us around, and for those who depend on us being around.

This Mother's Day, take a walk together, laugh together. Celebrate each other, walk down memory lane. Take this opportunity to really connect with another human being... And of course, eat together, too.

Enjoy the fresh air, the flowers...and even the chocolates. A healthy, balanced life is not about giving up all treats forever...it is about taking small steps every day to improve your health...so enjoy a chocolate or two,just not the entire box!

To your healthy, energetic, slender body--this Mother's Day and every day!

No comments: