Saturday, September 6, 2008

More on Indulgences and Diet

So it is okay to indulge from time to time, but let's not overdo it. It is the overdoing that got us into "trouble" with our weight in the first place.

Overeating can wreck havoc with our bodies just like drinking too much alcohol. Typically we don't have some of the other complications that are true with too much booze--like impaired driving, for example, unless we are driving while eating then that would be a possibility, too!

Too much sugar, whether it is refined sugar, honey, or even natural sugars in fruits can cause health complications down the road. In the short term it can cause sleep disturbances and mood swings.

So if you choose to have your indulgence, see if you can do it with a small serving. You can always have more if you really want it. I try to wait at least 30 minutes after my treat before I have another. I know it takes me that long to really assimilate it in my mind and body. Then if I still want it after half an hour I'll allow myself a bit more. Typically I find that I no longer want that extra bit and because I only had a small serving in the first place my body is able to handle the bit of sugar.

No comments: