Friday, September 12, 2008

Walking for Weight Loss, Part 3: Why is walking good exercise

No matter what condition you are in, walking is a great form of exercise.

The costs are pretty minimal--be sure to invest in a good pair of shoes that fit your feet. That's about it. Well, other clothes are a plus, too!

When I was almost 300 pounds, walking was a lot more difficult for me. Now, at under 200 pounds I move around a lot more easily. But it all started with one foot and then the other.

Walking allows us to adjust our pace and distance based on our physical abilities. Being obese when I started walking, sometimes I couldn't make it very far. So I decided to take short walks around the block. A very short block.

I built up to several short walks a day. Still, very short. Then I noticed I could get the walk done a little faster. And I wasn't so tired.

It didn't take too long and I was able to go further. Now I really enjoy longer walks--but if time is getting short then I revert to the quick walk around the block.

Getting in better shape I can adapt my walking speed, carry weights and mix in some quick steps. For now a minute of quick walking at a time is good for me--a quick little sprint walk. Later I'll be able to do maybe 3 minutes of sprint walking. Sprinkled in with the longer walk.

The fancy term for this is interval training. Don't get too carried away with it, the goal is short spurts. It helps keep the body guessing!

No comments: