Saturday, February 14, 2009

Not Everyone Can Be Skinny!

Heck, some of us don't want to be "skinny"...we just want to as healthy as possible for us!

I've said it before, I will never be a Miss America-type beauty. I don't have the bone and muscle structure for it. That's okay. I'm grateful for my strong body...it has carried me around for a lot of years now...this was part of the huge shift in my mindset that allowed me to lose 120 pounds...loving my body as it is, not hating it for what it never can be...

Reading the paper today I was reminded about my own exercise philosophy--MOVE MORE...using the one jumping jack theory!

It doesn't have to be a lot. This sentiment is echoed by Dr. Tedd Mitchell in his new book Move Yourself: The Cooper clinic Medical Director's Guide to All the Healing Benefits of Exercise (Even a Little!) Whew! That's a mouthful!

In a nutshell--science shows that even small amounts of moving your body yield big results--in health, quality and length of life. The catch? Moving consistently (not the same movements mind you, just moving more.)

Dr. Mitchell's book gives specific guidelines based on 4 decades of research.

I love this "Genetically speaking, not everyone can be skinny, but everybody can be fit." Hurray! We do not have to be the round peg trying to fit in the square hole! Just be the best round peg you can.

Another favorite, "It's been said that your health can be judged by which you take two at a time--pills or stairs."

I vote for stairs!

No comments: