Monday, August 10, 2009

Is More Better?

A lot of people contend that more is better...more stuff, more toys, more money, more fill in the blank.

On the other hand, just as many people (maybe "more" these days) contend that it isn't more that it is better, instead we should be happy with what we have.

I think it really depends on what we are talking about, and how we define "more"...

As an example, I was at a big sculpture show this weekend (well, two shows actually...so I guess there is another example of "more"!). In my non-scientific observation I would say there were fewer artists participating and fewer patrons. However I did see significant numbers of items being wrapped and carried out. In today's paper there was a preliminary statement that said they believed more pieces sold this year than in years' past. More pieces, but the average price per piece was less. So a bigger number of pieces but less total dollar revenue.

I think this can be viewed as good news...more people got to appreciate and purchase more pieces from more artists. The wealth was spread around.

In the past, many artists thought they had to go bigger and bigger (a different type of more) in order to get the big sale. This year, those that did the best had smaller pieces that were affordable by more buyers.

I realize that I may have seemed to have veered off the Refuse To Diet course a bit, but I like this analogy for health and weight loss.

For years, many health advocates were telling us "more, more, more"...more exercising, longer and harder. My philosophy is that "more" may be best when it is more frequent but shorter duration at a time...more small pieces instead of one big one.

This is part of my formula for weight loss success. Do small amounts of exercise that fit into your time budget...make it "affordable". More of us can successfully fit in 15 minutes at a time and keep that up, rather than an hour 4 times a week that some people propose. It is important that we take consistent action, rather than a big effort that we can't sustain over time!

Re-evaluate how you define "more"...it isn't necessary to have huge workouts to get results. You can get a lot of pleasure and health benefits from smaller routines that you do more often.

No comments: