Saturday, February 13, 2010

5 Weight Loss Tips for the 21st Winter Olympics

I love watching the Olympics...winter and summer both...heck, I'd probably watch a spring and fall Olympics...ooh, guess they'd better call it the autumn Olympics...

Anyway, watching the opening ceremonies last night got me thinking...and a sore butt...

I'm visiting my mom, helping her recover from surgery (she's doing great and I'll be heading home soon) so I'm a bit out of my element and it really was an eye-opener.

Wow, was that show long! I have TIVO (and if you don't, you really ought to consider it) so I fast forward through all the commercials. On a typical hour-long show that saves me about 20 minutes! I cringe to think how much time we would have saved if we had been able to cruise through the commercials last night. Maybe my mom would have even been able to stay awake for it.

One of the frustrating things for me, besides the length and the number of commercials, was here I am in California...on the same time zone as the Olympics...and we are having to wait to watch them until "prime time." What is up with that? It meant the show wasn't over until midnight. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Especially when it was well over an hour into the show before the ceremonies even started.

OK, so what does this have to do with losing weight?

First, do what you can to NOT sit on your butt for 4 hours of television. The athletes certainly don't...if they want to achieve their goals they are out moving...some may be sitting for hours on sleds...but they are actively working their muscles while doing it.

Tivo is one option. Don't have Tivo and want to watch the Olympics? I understand...get up and move as much as you can. There are plenty of commercials which allow for you to get in some quick laps around the living room or do some isometric exercises.

Second, eat like an athlete...sort of...smaller quantities, but eat the same good healthy food that an athlete eats, a good balance of protein, complex carbs and fats. Be sure to eat lots of veggies and fruits.

Third, drink lots of clean, pure water. I know Coke and Budweiser are sponsors, but you don't need the empty calories. The athletes will be drinking more water than anything else...again, follow their model and keep hydrated...the best way to do that is with good ol' water!

Fourth, avoid eating unconsciously throughout the games. Don't have snacks out unless you are going to be okay with eating them...because you probably will. Figure out what you are going to eat...have some easy foods...or if you can prepare foods and watch the athletes at the same time, do that. Most experts will tell you not to eat in front of the television...but I don't find that to be very realistic, especially during the Olympics...heck, when are they NOT on? Instead make your goal to be mindful about your eating.

Fifth, if you have trouble keeping from eating while watching then figure out something else you can do with your hands. This can be a big challenge...keeping your hands busy and watching television at the same time...but experiment with a few things and see if they help you. I used to do a lot of embroidery and found that I could do that while I was watching television. I know others who knit. The other night I did some mending. But sewing is not the only thing you can do to keep your hands busy...you can even combine keeping your hands busy with exercising by using some light hand weights (or canned goods from the kitchen cupboard)...do some curls and other upper body work and you might just look more like the athletes you are watching!

Our Olympic challenge--to achieve our health goals...we may never be Olympians, but we can and will achieve an Olympic feat...we will achieve the healthy, energetic, slender bodies we deserve--as long as we focus on our goals and take steps every day to get closer and closer to them!

No comments: