Thursday, February 25, 2010

Avoiding Injury for Weight Loss Success

Yesterday I mentioned how important it is to keep going...to not let injuries be an excuse for not exercising. I know I did that for a lot of years and it sure didn't help me to reach my weight loss goals...and watching these Olympians who have been injured get the help they need to keep going has really helped teach me a big lesson...about perseverance and about accepting help.

But truly, the best thing is to avoid getting hurt in the first place if at all possible.

Frankly, excess weight carries with it risks and challenges without adding injuries. And carrying extra pounds makes it easier to get injured in the first place.

The goal then is to get our bodies moving to the best of our abilities so we can experience weight loss success (which feels great, btw) and improve our overall health and fitness.

One of the best ways to prevent injury is to have some variety in your workouts. Not only is this a great tip for preventing injury, it is a great weight loss tip as well because by varying your routine you keep it more interesting. More interesting means you are more inclined to do it. More inclined to do it, means you will have faster and more consistent results.

Now that's a gold medal finish!

So while I have a routine I do most days, this morning I was part way through and just was not being inspired. So I stopped for a minute and asked myself what I wanted to do...and I realized I wanted to go for a walk. Now, it has been a cold winter here in Colorado and I am not normally a big cold weather and icy roads walker...but it felt so good. The air was crisp, the sky was blue...I got to visit with horses in the pasture. It was definitely the perfect exercise for me today.

Think about what would feel good to you...some days perhaps it will be to take a dip in the pool and feel that refreshing water. Other days maybe you too will feel the call of a walk...or a bike ride. Have a variety of "tricks up your sleeve" so you can experiment...some days doing yoga or T'ai Chi to a DVD may be the perfect ticket...other days it may be to dance to some music--even getting out a "Sweating to the Oldies" video with Richard Simmons.

The bigger variety in your workout routine, the more different muscles you will use. That will help build your overall health and fitness...and strengthen parts of your body that you didn't know could use it!

No comments: