Friday, March 13, 2009

Make Love Not War

"Make love not war" was a very popular slogan during the 60s...I still like the philosophy and I see that it is something that I can apply most to myself.

How many different negative thoughts do you have about yourself in a day?

How often do you catch yourself repeating the same negative thought?

Whether we want to admit it or not, these thoughts are affirmations...we are "making firm" the thoughts by repeating them over and over. So by repeating or affirming these negatives we are making them bigger, truer and more powerful in our lives every day.

Let's stop that! We deserve to get better and better and build ourselves up rather than tear ourselves down.

That doesn't mean you will be positive 100% of the time. We all have negative thoughts and self-doubts from time to time.

What is important is for us to move away from the negative and move toward the positive.

We have ample opportunity for negative thoughts to dominate our minds if we allow them too...because we hear or read about standards for beauty and health...because we compare ourselves to others...

Whether your negative thoughts are about not being able to stick to your healthy eating goals, or how big your hips are, or thin your lips are, or that you are lazy... unlovable... unworthy... ugly... these negative thoughts do not serve you.

And they are usually not accurate! I am here to tell you that you are worthy. You are lovable. You are beautiful. I know this to be true...even if you do not yet know it.

From my personal experience I can tell you that all these negative thoughts lead to a lot of emotional eating...because food can make us feel good--at least temporarily. So if for no other reason, you deserve to stop the negative thinking. In fact you must stop it in order to achieve permanent, healthy weight-loss.

The good news is that you can change your thinking and you can come to believe what I already know is the truth about you--and me--about each and every one of us!

In my next post I'll give you specific ways to help begin those changes.

No comments: