Thursday, April 30, 2009

Quick Weight Loss: Inspiration or Deception?

Stories of people who have lost 30, 40, 50, 100 pounds and more are pretty darned inspiring! When I hear stories about people who have lost that much in an extremely short period of time it has a different effect.

Maybe it is just me. Maybe it is because I have done it. And maybe, because I have done it and gained it all back (and more)and seen lots of other people have similar results...just maybe that is the reason red flags shoot up whenever I hear about these amazingly fast results.

I think on the one hand hearing these kinds of stories may make it possible for some folks to say, "Wow, if they can do it, then I can too!" On the other hand, it could seem like a Herculean effort (like in the Biggest Loser) that is beyond most of us mere mortals.

Can I say on the other hand again? I mean, how many hands do I get? Well, on the other hand, if you do work hard and don't achieve massive results fast it can easily lead to thoughts of doubt, shame, guilt and worthlessness...hopelessness. That can't be a good thing for anyone!

The fast results are often more deception than anything else. A deception in that we have not changed our thinking about food and our bodies...and when that is revealed we will not be able to maintain the weight loss.

I realize it is not as "sexy" to lose weight over time...but like a lot of other goals, when we take small steps on a consistent basis we WILL get results. And truth be told, we will have the results faster in the long run because we keep plugging away at it--and we have made the changes that are necessary to sustain our new bodies--and those changes start with our minds, not our mouths!

No comments: