Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What do you say when Someone has Lost a lot of Weight?

There are lots of people who don't know what to say when they see me. Losing 100 pounds is not a "little" weight--so it is doubtful that they haven't noticed.

I've been thinking about this a lot. To be honest, I don't think there is any one single answer that is right for everyone.

Most of us are thrilled with our results and will be glad that you notice.

That being said, we don't necessarily want the focus to be on our appearance. Yes, improving my appearance is part of losing weight, but that wasn't my primary goal.

Even still, "You look great" is probably a very acceptable reaction. Or try something like "You look like you have lost a lot of weight--you look great", or you could follow it up with "how did you do it?", or another question if you are interested.

Please, don't feel like you HAVE to ask a lot of questions. If you want to know more about my journey then ask, but otherwise, don't. I'll be happy to talk to you about what I've been doing but I am very sensitive about boring people!

I would love to hear someone else's point of view on this...do you want people to comment on your weight loss? What comments and/or questions do you like to get? Are there any that you do not want to hear?

No comments: