Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Warm Rich No Calorie Drinks

December has begun! It is a gorgeous time of year and full of festivities.

That can make it a challenge to maintain our weight loss and fitness goals...

One of my personal challenges comes if I get cold. When I am cold I want to have a cup of hot cocoa or something rich, warm and inviting to warm me from the inside. At these times, plain old tea doesn't seem to cut it.

I have discovered is the wonderful variety of teas out there and by making a very strong cup (letting it steep longer than normal) of one of the spice varieties seems to help. Then I add just a little bit of Stevia, a natural zero calorie sweetener and voila! I have a rich, warm, inviting no calorie treat. I mentioned Stevia before when making my low-cal apple treats, which is another great warm up treat for winter!

If that doesn't satisfy me I might add some non-fat or 1% organic milk to get even more of the rich flavor.

Experiment with different teas to find the one(s) you like best. I get a variety and have started blending my own. I really enjoy a rooiboos tea base combined with a spicey blend. And remember to keep the Stevia to just a pinch...it is much sweeter than sugar. Start with a tiny tiny bit and if you need to add more you can.

I buy Stevia in the packets (so I can take it with me!) and one packet lasts me many cups of tea! Usually I find that it lasts me for 2 days worth of tea!

No comments: